07 August 2008

The Incredible Edible Egg

Peace and Blessings,

I love eggs and decided to have some for breakfast today. As usual, I sipped on a cup of green tea first thing this am. I ate a roasted apple and a handful of pumpkin seeds (you can check them out below) before my meal. The actual breakfast consisted of 4 egg whites and 1 yolk cooked with Pam cooking spray. I wrapped the eggs in a whole wheat, spinach tortilla...the rest is history.

Often, I am asked how many eggs one should eat in a week. Eggs have gotten a bum wrap because of the cholesterol content found in the yolk. According to Dr. Gerald Gau, a cardiologist at the Mayo Clinic, one large yolk has approximately 213 milligrams (mg) of cholesterol. He advises healthy individuals to limit their daily intake to less than 300 mg. Individuals suffering from cardiovascular disease, diabetes or high "LDL" cholesterol - also referred to as "lousy" cholesterol- should limit their intake to less than 200 mg.

So how many should you eat? Well that depends on your health status, as mentioned above, and your overall eating habits. And don't forget, it's the yolk that is harmful, not the white of the egg. The egg white is an excellent source of protein. Back to the question. If you're going to blow your daily limit of cholesterol at breakfast by scoffing down the egg special at the local diner, then you should limit the amount of cholesterol you consume for the remainder of the day.




OK, I stumbled accross these at Whole Foods the other day. They're pretty tasty and low in saturated fat but high in the omegas. Look for them at your local "whole paycheck" or health food store, or go to www.Gerbspumpkinseeds.com. I'm just an email away if you'd like more info on cholesterol or the omegas.

Keep it moving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a pumpkin seed fanatic! And, for me, the best part is the salt! Actually, I don't think I've ever had a pumpkin seed without the salt. Problem there is obvious, the salt! So I don't eat much of one of my very favorie things because just a handful would blow my sodium intake for the WEEK! How tasty is the brand you eat? I gotta know!!!


Ian

"Flaunt It!" said...

Hey there,
The Gerbs pumpkin seeds are seasoned with garlic, onion powder, salt and spices in that order. Each 1 oz. serving contains 180 mg of sodium. In the scheme of things, that's not a lot. JUST don't eat the whole bag at once. Healthy adults should limit their salt intake to a range of 1,500 and 2,400 mg daily. These numbers change if you have certain risk factors. Let me know if you'd like more info^_^