08 August 2008

Breakfast of Champions: Friday

Hello and Happy Friday,

Today marks the 5th day of my breakfast journal. To be honest, I wanted a hot, fluffy stack of pancakes this morning but I stuck with my original and healthier plan to finish my leftovers. So, rather than gratify my indulgence for the flapjacks, I ate a grilled chicken breast with the remainder of my kale medley (see below) and green tea. In case you're wondering about those pancakes; I do allow myself to eat a healthier version but not too often because they simply don't agree with me.

If you find it difficult to make the right food choices, ask yourself the following questions before you indulge:

How does that food make you feel after eating it? If you notice gastrointestinal discomfort or a change in your mood or energy level, your body is trying to tell you something.

How is the food prepared? If it is fried, smothered in cream, gravy, etc., or prepared with lots of additives, sugar and preservatives, you should limit the amount you eat.

What is it derived from? For instance, if it comes from white flour or a "chemistry lab," leave it alone!

There are many factors that influence the choices we make when it comes to food. I think most of you will agree that those choices and eating habits tend to be ingrained deeply and thus, hard to break. My advice is to identify the most dangerous foods you eat and to eliminate them one at a time. But before doing so, create your own little contingency plan by figuring out a healthier version or substitute and always plan your meals so that you don't find yourself feeling ravenous and unprepared. As for the other, not-so-dangerous foods, allow yourself to enjoy them in moderation. "Moderation is the key."

No comments: