10 August 2008

Dara Torres Flaunts It in Beijing

Learning how to swim is on my To do list. I took a private lesson once but never followed through. If you're wondering why, my instructor's nickname for me was Rock Girl ("Who you calling Rock Girl?!....."). I had a hard time floating and his teaching style left much to be desired.

So you can imagine how excited I am over Dara Torres. At 41, she's the oldest Olympic swimmer to win a medal. Yesterday, she won silver in the 400-meter freestyle relay. It was her 10th career Olympic medal. How's that for inspiration?
Let me tell you, I'm feeling inspired and will enroll in swimming lessons in September.

Is there something you've been wanting to do but have not? Carpe diem my friend, Carpe diem!

Today is the last day of my Breakfast of Champions journal. My goal was to give you ideas on how to add some variety to your morning meals. I hope that I've succeeded. Well, I started off this morning's meal with 2 glasses of water and fresh blueberries, followed by a bowl of oatmeal and egg whites. I added cinnamon, raisins and a drizzle of honey. I found it filling and satifying.

Oatmeal is high in fiber but low in fat and it helps to lower cholesterol. There are many varieties to choose from and I suggest steel cut because they're whole oat groats which means they're less refined.

Regular, old-fashioned oatmeal will do if you cannot find the steel cut variety. What I don't want you to do is buy instant oatmeal because that variety tends to be full of crap, um hmmm, I said it.

So there you have it... a week's worth of breakfast meals. Mangiare!

2008 Olympics Video Coverage at NBC Olympics.com!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey "Rock Girl"(yes, I said it),
I too enjoy oats for breakfast, and have taken your advice and added egg whites to my recipe to balance it out with some protein. I still get to enjoy my breakfast, and I don't get hungry again as quickly.
Also, I planned ahead for today by cooking some spinach with garlic, onions, and bell pepper last night. I used this to balance out my dinner tonight of grilled chicken with beans and rice. This stretched the portion out so that I now have enough for lunch tomorrow, and I ate less starch in one meal. I still got to eat the quick, convenient, tasty meal I wanted, but it was made both healthier and more economical by a little planning ahead.
Thanks for your advice and support!
-Noel