31 July 2008

Pie Eating...at its finest.

Don't Attempt This At Home!!!



I can appreciate a good key lime pie but this takes the cake.
I am, for the most part, a non-judgemental person but the idea of
competitive eating, especially as a "sport," and ESPECIALLY when
it involves children, vexes me. It's not healthy to subject oneself
to gorging, period.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not referring to the binging that
takes place when one suffers from an eating disorder. I take
offense to the voluntary, mass-consumption of food for the sake
of winning a contest. I find it hard to justify eating contests
when millions of people are starving worldwide. How about donating
the equivalent of all of that food to charity and sponsoring
exercise contests instead?

What's your take?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can certainly see ur viewpoint as well as those views of competitive eaters. I happen to be a competitive eater though not very often. Last one I competed in the registration fees went to a good cause (though not health-related). I think the exercise idea is awesome! Maybe someone will run with that idea! Thanks for the comment.

"Flaunt It!" said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for commenting on the issue and it's nice to hear that the registration fees were donated to some type of charity.